Tuesday, June 11, 2013

In the pool...finally

I got in the pool at the gym for the first time and have a couple of quick observations.

1.  That pool is HOT.  Like really hot.  Like swimming in Pulliam's pool, but hotter, for those of you from SIU.  It was a huge challenge to finish my laps and there weren't that many today.  I only did a 500, which was half as many as I wanted to.

2.  If I am going to swim, I should not do a weights class before swimming.  As I am not a huge fan of freestyle and breaststroke being my preferred stroke and that being much more arm intensive, I was dying.  The weight class was pretty rough on triceps and shoulders today with lots of push-ups, tricep push-ups, and adding a bit of weight to the bar.  My arms were dying on breaststroke, so I tried freestyle only to find that was just as bad.  My arms felt like they weighed a ton!

I only have until Friday before we leave to go to southern Illinois, so I need to get my swimming in for next week before I leave.  I won't have access to a lap pool up there.  I know Du Quoin has their pool, but after guarding, managing, and dealing with the park board for 10 plus years there, I really have no desire to ever step foot there again.  That said, I will only be able to run and bike next week.  And biking is debatable, since I am not taking a bike.  I am pretty sure that there is a spin class at the gym up there that I can join.

This could work out for the best though.  I REALLY need to focus more on running, and maybe being in a place without many other options will be a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment